8 September 2013

So September

I've noticed a distinct air of excited anticipation in Blogland about the onset of a new season.  Me?  I'm hanging on to what's left of summer with an iron grip.


Grim-faced weather forecasters starting their bulletins with "it's all set to change" are either switched off or met with fingers in ears, "laa laa laa, not listening".

I love the light and warmth of summer.  I love having the doors and windows flung wide open, bringing the outside in.  I love the sounds, the colours, the long days and drawn-out alfresco meals.  I'm not ready for it all to change just yet.


So, I shall continue exposing my not-as-taut-as-they-were limbs in pretty dresses and wearing flip flops for a little while longer!  So there!!!  Oh yes, I can be a stubborn sod at times.

That said, it's pretty much been a week of settling back into the old routine.

Blondie Daughter has enjoyed her first full week in Year 7.  It's her second year at high school (the children start at the age of 10 here, a year earlier than most) and she and her friends sashay up the path to school with an air of confidence far removed from the wide-eyed terror of a year ago.

Blondie Son, now in Year 10, has moved up to senior school and embarks on the two year journey to GCSEs.  I have to keep pinching myself.  Is it really ten whole years since his very first day?  He towers above me now and, when we hug, his arms have to go on top.


I've been sprucing up the house and garden this week.  Doing lots of those little jobs that have been sidetracked for the last six weeks or so.

Sassybelle Blooms, I've finally hung up your beautiful string of happy (forgive the less-than-beautiful photo) - it's above the doors in the lounge and, each time I see it, I think of you.


I do so love my brooch too.  Thank you xx


I had just the loveliest day on Wednesday.  I met up with one of my first bloggy friends, Lynda.  While still being on Instagram, Lynda is taking a break from her blog, Hookin With LaaLaa, and concentrating on her new needlework kit and chart design business.


These are two of my favourite designs of hers, aren't they stunning?


So, with knocking knees and a fluttery tummy, I caught the train to Birmingham.  Funnily enough, Annie recently posted about meeting up with online friends - it seems to render the most self confident of us, gibbering heaps.  Why is that I wonder?  All my nerves completely disappeared the minute I saw Lynda though and we spent a wonderful few hours gossiping, shopping and gossiping.  She's a minx though.  She positively forced me to buy a new Cath Kidston skirt.  (Do you hear me D?  FORCED me she did!!!)


To the lady who wrote the very disparaging feedback on the CK website about this skirt being more suitable for a 10 year old than a grown woman, I know a certain 11 year old girl who wouldn't be seen dead in it and a 41 year old woman who bloody loves it.  Different strokes for different folks eh and thank goodness for that.

Before I sign off, are you going to Yarndale?  I am!  I'm going with two gorgeous online friends (Cuckoo and Emily) who I've known for a while but never met in person (you see how I'm all au fait about this meeting up business now?!) and I'm suuuuper excited!  Do come and say "hi" if you see us.  I'll be the one with the mushroom skirt and flip flops!!!


xxx

PS.  Beautiful wildflower posy at the beginning of this post was from a charity stall at a local fayre.  Best £2.00 I've spent in a long time.

31 comments:

  1. Seu post está divino! Um lindo domingo para você!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I'm going to Yarndale too! On the Saturday. I would love to meet some blogging friends there, that would be wonderful. Nerve-wracking, yes, but wonderful. I love the skirt. You can't go wrong with toadstools, you really can't. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be there on the Saturday too. I should absolutely love to see you Gillian - how will I know you? We should wear name badges! Or a crocheted flower on our lapels. xx

      Delete
    2. Actually, a name badge isn't such a bad idea! Good point. x

      Delete
  3. Well I would love to e going to Yarndale and looking out for you in that scrummy skirt but too far. Have a great time and love your summer pics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I'll take lots of photos, promise! x

      Delete
  4. Such a pretty little posy! :)
    I'm going to Yarndale - it's quite a long way for us - so we are making a weekend of it. We will hopefully visit "The Studio" too! So very excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty flowers and I love you new skirt too, have a wonderful time at yarndale.
    Clare x
    http://summerhousebythesea.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heather, I'm planning a trip to Yarndale too and I was just thinking, how will anyone know me....maybe a name badge is the answer :0)
    Hope to see you there.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Heather
    Train ticket booked for my journey to Skipton - actually beyond excited now. I also think all Bloggers should wear badges, I'd love to meet those I chat to and I think I shall just end up walking past them !
    As usual - lovely post, and good to link to Cuckoo and find a new post there.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the skirt - will look out for it at Yarndale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable Skirt Heather, and the little bouquet of flowers is so sweet. The needlework designs are beautiful and that garland looks so pretty hanging over your lace curtains! Have lots of fun at Yarndale. Oh...and take lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that skirt! Far too pretty for a 10 year old, or at least my ten year old self would have ripped it up a tree :)
    That garland is so pretty. Very summery. what a lovely thing to get to look at every day.
    Enjoy Yarndale, those things are always too far for me to go to. But I shall look forward to seeing what everyone posts on their blogs about it though.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gahhhhhhhh! I dunno what to wear! Everyone thinks I look like that flaming Fat Face girl now thanks to you! Lynda IG'd it and people have agreed and now I'm scared to show me face because I look old and haggard in real life and everyone will be disappointed....fretting!!!!

    Love that skirt. I tried it on and I look like a barrel in it. You look cute as a button. Seriously cute.

    Yep, I have done a couple of blog posts this week (just did one a minute ago!) all because you told me to a week or so ago ;oD

    I got me bag! I'm chuffed. You are lush, you are. I was going to make us all one but now I needn't, I didn't know you could get an official one. What a poppet you are. Thank you.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh boy you could wear that cute skirt over here in California, all the way to the end of October. Have fun at Yarndale!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I met someone wearing that perfect skirt, I would follow them round for days asking them to please, please be my friend so I could have some of the reflected glory of the skirt when we walked together in public. Or I would steal it from their washing-line. One or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi There,I looooove your mushroom skirt and Yarndale bag!!!!I also love it when bloggy friends meet up in person!!!Have a great week!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! It was great, wasn't it. I can't wait for next time so get thinking of what we're going to do in Leicester. Yes, D, it was all my fault. Mine and mine alone. I practically tore the money from Heather's purse. The skirt looks great in you! It was made for you.

    Thanks for the links petal. You're precious, you are!

    See you soon! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I completely with you, having onto the Summer and enjoying every last drop of it while I can. So glad you had a lovely bloggy meet up, amazing how nerve wracking they are isn't it? Glad you enjoyed it though.

    S x

    PS Here's to fully grown women in mushroom skirts! I love it too, I saw it in CK the other day and only didn't get it because I was spent out already!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That skirt is seriously cute, Heather!! I love it!! The colours are so nice too! I may have to pop into Cath's to have a look at it on the flesh...

    Yarndale sounds like a great day out but it is too far from here so I hope you take loads of pics and show us what it is all about. I hope you have a great day and meet some lovely people.

    I wish the sun was shinning.... it's wet and miserable here in London, where is this Indian Summer everyone was talking about a few days ago, I wonder......

    Enjoy the afternoon!
    Pati x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering much the same Pati! I've relented and put a cardi on today, gah!!!

      Hope you're well. x

      Delete
  18. Gorgeous flowers and crochet Heather and your skirt is so pretty! (I also love the Garden Birds design)..I'd definitely be looking out for you in your mushroom skirt if I were going to Yarndale...Hopefully, I'll be there next year...it's going to be brilliant and I'm looking forward to seeing all the pics!
    Lynda's designs are beautiful...she's so clever with her stitching and her new website looks lovely.
    It's so cold here today but I did say I love autumn so shouldn't start complaining!
    Happy New Week,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so with you on eeking out every last smidgeon of summer....but today feels like winter has arrived....I've had to resort to wearing jeans, vest, t-shirt, cs cashmere cardigan....and socks!!!! And I'm definitely not happy about it, I have to say.

    I'm so delighted you like your garland and brooch.....I have my mini milk bottles sitting in the middle of the dining table dressed with red scabious flowers.....see, trying to hold onto summer for just a wee bit longer.

    It's so nice you met up with Lynda.....I'm hoping to meet with her in a week or two.....and I look forward to meeting up with you to.....maybe we....you, me and Lynda....could all meet up together....what do you think?

    Take care lovely -xXx-

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think they should introduce a new rule for Yarndale ... all bloggers to wear blog name badges ... imagine how many people we might meet that way!

    Gorgeous flowers! And thanks for the link lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Heather - what a lovely blog you have here, I'm looking forward to browsing some more very soon and, in the meantime, thanks so much for visiting my place - I've left you a reply there!
    By the way, I love your sweet fresh skirt - enjoy showing it around at Yarndale!
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your little flower posy, very pretty. Also your new skirt...it's gorgeous! Hope you have a great time at Yarndale.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay Heather! Will you still be at Yarndale on Sunday? I'm planning a visit then if i can get help with Jenny that day! If i can i'll let you know as i would live to meet you xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I so wish I was going to Yarndale...just know it will be a huge success!
    have a lovely time and do say hello to my lovely friend Ms Laa Laa...she'll know who I am!
    Tilly x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I so wish I was going to Yarndale...just know it will be a huge success!
    have a lovely time and do say hello to my lovely friend Ms Laa Laa...she'll know who I am!
    Tilly x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello......just found your blog via bunnyMummy, what a delight! Please come and say HI to me in the knit n natter lounge at yarndale :o)xxxxxx
    Lucex

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Anyone ever told you that you're a peach? xx

Followers